In this blog, we will be breaking down the new features of Umbraco 13 and how they can help create a seamless and efficient content management experience.
Choosing the Right Umbraco Version: Exploring the Features & Benefits of Umbraco 10 and Umbraco 11
Umbraco is an open-source, user-friendly Content Management System (CMS).There are various versions of Umbraco, so working out which version is right for your business can be difficult.
This blog will explore the features and benefits of both Umbraco 10 and Umbraco 11, and with a little expertise from an Umbraco Gold Partner (us!) will help to inform you on which upgrade path is best for you.
While both versions share a sturdy foundation, with core features such as the .NET Core Framework remaining consistent, they each offer unique additions that can sway your decision. In this blog, we will first explore the robust features of Umbraco 10 before transitioning into the innovative additions that set Umbraco 11 apart.
Umbraco 10 Features
Umbraco 10 runs on .Net6 this help to improve maintainability and increase the speed of the website. .NET6 optimises server hardware utilisation, leading to improved performance capabilities.
Umbraco 10 leverages the updated ImageSharp 2 library for image processing, resulting in performance gains and adding support for the WebP file format(saves storage and increases web page speed). This highly requested feature improves image-handling capabilities within Umbraco.
Umbraco 10 is also a cross-platform CMS with full support for both Windows and Unix-based platforms. The inclusion of SQLite as a cross-platform capable file-based database simplifies local development across all platforms.
Additionally, Umbraco CMS 10.1 and Umbraco Forms 10.1 bring further enhancements, including runtime mode configuration, workflow features, a folder-based form picker, and more. Umbraco CMS 10.2 focuses on improving the content editor experience, introducing permissions for language variants and read-only mode for property editors. These updates ensure a robust and user-friendly CMS for building exceptional digital experiences.
New features in Umbraco 11
As the features from Umbraco 10 will naturally transition to Umbraco 11, we will focus on the new features which were released in version 11. These include:
- Block Grid Editor: The Block Grid Editor is a powerful tool that allows businesses to organise content into a single, easy-to-navigate grid. This feature improves website performance and user experience. With the intuitive drag-and-drop interface, non-technical users can easily create and manage content blocks, reducing the need for technical support. The Block Grid Editor has pre-built content blocks and formatting options that help businesses create visually appealing and engaging content.
- Umbraco Marketplace: With the release of Umbraco 11, a new online Marketplace was launched. The Marketplace helps businesses benefit from composable digital platforms that can help with customer engagement, personalisation, and transactions (e-commerce). Technology partners can list their tailor-made products and packages, which can easily integrate with Umbraco's open-source CMS.
- TinyMCE Version 6: TinyMCE is the framework that powers the Rich Text Editor and plays a pivotal role in wrapping HTML content and presenting it in a visually appealing and accessible format for content editors. By providing a more efficient and user-friendly editing experience, the Rich Text Editor in the back office allows for easier content creation and management, leading to better websites and user experiences. Umbraco 11 uses the upgraded TinyMCE Version 6, which improves user and developer experience and has enhanced performance.
Choosing the right content management system is like setting the foundation stone for your digital strategy, and when it comes to Umbraco 10 and 11, the decision is far from straightforward. We will next look at the benefits of these two versions and delve deep into the unique benefits each version brings to the table.
Benefits of 10: Long-term supported version
Upgrading to Umbraco 10 opens up a world of benefits for business, let’s take a look of the benefits for upgrading to version 10:
- .Net: Umbraco 10 is built on the backbone of .NET 6 and ASP.NET Core 6, it utilises the latest technologies to provide enhanced performance, resulting in quicker website loading times and an overall superior user experience.
- Security: Umbraco 10 steps up its game with features such as encrypted passwords and two-factor authentication, significantly bolstering the security of your website.
- Long-Term Support: In Umbraco new cadence cycle, Umbraco 10 is a Long-Term Supported (LTS) version of Umbraco. This means that it ensures stability with two years of bug fixes, regression updates, and security patched which means that you will not have to upgrade every year to still receive a supported version of Umbraco.
- Migration from older versions: The migration from Umbraco 9 to 10 is designed to be smooth, and thanks to the Umbraco team’s dedication to minimising disruptions and automating migrations.
- Updated dependencies: The updated dependencies include performance improvements, bug fixes, and new features, maintaining your CMS's compatibility with the latest technologies It also introduces feature enhancements that streamline content management, workflow capabilities, localisation, user interface, and user experience, making the process more efficient for content editors and developers.
In alignment with Microsoft's LTS release schedule for .NET and ASP.NET Core, Umbraco 10 ensures compatibility within the broader Microsoft ecosystem, enabling you to integrate the latest technologies seamlessly. Lastly, upgrading to Umbraco 10 offers access to a vibrant community of developers, experts, and partners ready to provide support and resources to help you unlock the full potential of your Umbraco-based website. In essence, upgrading to Umbraco 10 is a strategic move that empowers businesses to deliver top-notch digital experiences.
Benefits of 11: Security, Flexibility and SEO-friendly
Umbraco 11 brings numerous benefits to your business that can revolutionise your online presence.
- Security: Umbraco 11 employs encrypted passwords, two-factor authentication, and IP blocking to prevent unauthorised access, thereby bolstering the safety of your website.
- Flexibility: The platform is incredibly flexible, enabling businesses to custom-design their websites without being confined by pre-set templates or features.
- User-Friendly: With its intuitive user interface, Umbraco 11 simplifies content management for editors and marketers, which boosts efficiency and reduces training time
- Scalability: It's highly scalable, supporting websites of all sizes, making it an ideal choice for businesses with growth plans.
- Integrations: Umbraco 11 seamlessly integrates with third-party applications and services, facilitating the addition of new features, such as Block Grid Editor, without having to rebuild the website.
- SEO-Friendly: Umbraco 11 SEO-friendly design help optimise websites for search engines, attracting more traffic and improving your website’s visibility
Umbraco 10 and Umbraco 11 are both on Umbraco Cloud, allowing you to take full advantage of the cloud-based CMS with all its benefits and features.
What version of Umbraco should you upgrade to?
Upgrading to Umbraco 11 can benefit businesses, including improved performance, enhanced security, expanded content capabilities, and access to new features in the Marketplace.
However, Umbraco 11 is STS (Standard-Term Support), which means that by December 2023, it will reach end-of-life. Our experts at ClerksWell would instead recommend that companies on older versions of Umbraco upgrade to version 10 as it is LTS (Long-Term Support), meaning your website will be secured until 2025. However, if your business's website would benefit from having the new features released in version 11, then upgrade, but you will have to upgrade sooner to still be in support.
For companies still using version 7, it is crucial to start planning the upgrade path now, as the end-of-life deadline of September 2023 is approaching quickly. Upgrading to Umbraco 10 will help businesses stay compliant with the latest web standards and give them access to new features and improvements that will help their websites remain relevant and practical.
Umbraco has announced that Umbraco 12 will be released on the 29th of June 2023. Compared to Version 10 and Version 11, Umbraco 12 will have Headless capabilities with the introduction of Headless API. Look out for our blog on the upcoming Umbraco versions, where we will dive deep into their features and how they can be beneficial to your business.
How ClerksWell Can Help:
ClerksWell is a Umbraco Gold Partner with over 25 years of experience as a digital agency. We specialise in helping businesses achieve their digital goals with the latest technologies.
We can help companies to upgrade to the correct version of Umbraco for their digital needs, keep them compliant with the latest web standards, and ensure their websites remain relevant and practical. With our expertise and experience, we can help businesses thrive on new initiative CMS.
For Umbraco version 7 users, learn more about what you should be upgrading and what this is the best upgrade path for you by reading our Umbraco 7 blog and watching our Umbraco Upgrade Q&A with our Umbraco experts Paul Seal, Umbraco MVP, and Zeb Sadiq, CTO (Umbraco).
In this blog post, we will debunk common myths surrounding Sitecore Composable Offering, separating fact from fiction to help you make informed decisions and unlock the true potential of this great solution.
In this blog post, we'll explore why Sitecore can be a powerful alternative to Google Optimize, offering a range of features and capabilities that elevate your optimisation efforts to deliver exceptional user experiences.