For an employee at a technical agency, I’m not what you’d call “tech savvy”. In fact, I struggle to get the printer to work most days. So, when I was sent to help one of our clients to build their Umbraco website, I felt completely out of my depth.
So, a bit of context may be needed. One of our clients is a large member firm, and we built their new site for them on Umbraco. They then decided they wanted to roll out the same site design to all their member firms (quite a job), which is where I came in. I was engaged to copy their original site template and use it to build the other member sites and migrate the content across. Sounds complex, right?
What could I possibly help with? I’d never used Umbraco before. I wasn’t even entirely sure what a CMS is (I’ve since learned it stands for Content Management System).
But anyway, I was being sent into the belly of the beast, to confront the dreaded Umbraco face-to-face. And you know what, Umbraco turned out to be less of a beast than I’d expected. There’s a reason it’s called “The Friendly CMS”.
Having had no prior knowledge of Umbraco or any CMS at all, I was able to build and edit pages, which miraculously looked great! Although the developers at ClerksWell have had a lot to do with the design and structure of the site, Umbraco is so user friendly that building 40 sites from scratch was a surprisingly pleasant experience.
But that’s the beauty of the Umbraco CMS: you don’t need to be technical to use it. Sure, we have developers who do the complex coding for you and can make your site do exactly what you want, but once that’s done, even the most technophobic of employees can easily manage their Umbraco site.
So what’s so great about Umbraco?
– Well first of all, it’s free! Umbraco is an open-source CMS, meaning that the only expense you’ll have is hosting. Imagine WordPress, but not rubbish.
– It’s fully scalable. Unlike WordPress, which is also an open-source CMS, the digital world is your oyster with Umbraco! With other open-source CMSs, you’re limited with what you can do by the platform, but with Umbraco, you can programme your site to do whatever you want.
– It’s easy to manage. Umbraco is purely a content management system, with no complex features, meaning you can keep on-top of it without too much manpower!
– It’s in the cloud – Umbraco is based in the cloud, meaning you won’t have to wait or pay for the latest software releases!
– It’s secure – Powered by Microsoft technology, Umbraco has all the security you could possibly need for your website.
So now you know that somebody as nontechnical as me can build and manage pages in Umbraco, what are you waiting for? Not only is it easy to use, but it’s also a powerful platform for your website. It’s a great choice for your CMS! To find out more about Umbraco, get in touch to speak to one of our experts (not me!) and they’ll be happy to advise you on how best to improve your website with Umbraco.